Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Search       Member List      Official United Site     ArabZone      ArabTRUST       BBC Sport     Twitter
Welcome to The Arab League, one of the longest established Dundee United Football forums, with many members from the old ArabFC forum.

New members are always welcomed, so to join the debate, just sign up - registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join The Arab League!

If you're already a member please log in:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Maps
Topic Started: Jan 22 2011, 05:03 PM (12,114 Views)
findus
Member Avatar
Jerry Kerr
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I've been fascinated by maps for as long as I can remember. When I was a kid and it was too dark to be out playing football, half the time I was in pouring over atlases, solar system maps and such. So, a thread in celebration of maps we like for whatever reason.

Starting on a football theme:

Posted Image
Edited by findus, Jan 22 2011, 08:11 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Micky
Gordon Chisholm
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I was exactly that same, and to be fair I still love looking at things like Google Earth. I endorse this thread. :hat:

whatsthatonyourback
Member Avatar
Waldo Jeffers
I also like flags.

Alpha
Member Avatar
Craig Brewster
[ *  *  * ]
Surely that should just be all red and say Man U ?

Micky
Gordon Chisholm
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Alpha
Jan 22 2011, 06:58 PM
Surely that should just be all red and say Man U ?
:haha: +1

Cobardon
Member Avatar
Uncle Smurf
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Maps are great. I was through last week actually looking at very old Scottish maps in the NLS. We have some prints of the northern isles c. 1800 on our wall.

I recommend the web site on Pont's maps. Great stuff.
Edited by Cobardon, Jan 22 2011, 08:26 PM.

Setenza
Member Avatar
Knitting with only one needle
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I think it's a rule that any book or computers game which includes a proper map is good.

Except Red Dead Redemption obviously.

Posted Image
Edited by Setenza, Jan 22 2011, 11:05 PM.

reekie
Member Avatar
lum raker
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Maps are great, aren't they?
They let you wander off into uncharted (by you) territories and enjoy getting lost in the world of your mind.

Mrs. reekie's parents were antiques dealers and one of the things she was left with was a beautiful, framed silk map.
It's golden silk, with the World stitched onto it in black thread, back when Australia was still New Holland and suchlike.
As I say, beautiful.

Edited by reekie, Jan 24 2011, 11:04 PM.

Micky
Gordon Chisholm
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
reekie
Jan 24 2011, 11:03 PM
Maps are great, aren't they?
They let you wander off into uncharted (by you) territories and enjoy getting lost in the world of your mind.

Mrs. reekie's parents were antiques dealers and one of the things she was left with was a beautiful, framed silk map.
It's golden silk, with the World stitched onto it in black thread, back when Australia was still New Holland and suchlike.
As I say, beautiful.

That sounds brilliant. I'd love to see that.

IainArab72
Craig Brewster
[ *  *  * ]
I also think maps are great (I would - I'm a Geography teacher!!)
Just to let others know - on BBC4 tonight (Tuesday) at 1930 is a programme called 'The Beauty of Maps.' The largest Atlas in the world is the main focus of the programme tonight.

yasser
Member Avatar
Ivan Golac
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Here was me thinking I was the only map freak. I had know idea that so many fellow Arabs are into the same. Don't know if it was looking at my dads road maps or in geography class at school first tweeked my interest. Probably a bit of both.

Art Vandelay
Member Avatar
the king of carrot flowers
[ *  *  * ]
yasser
Jan 25 2011, 08:57 PM
Here was me thinking I was the only map freak. I had know idea that so many fellow Arabs are into the same. Don't know if it was looking at my dads road maps or in geography class at school first tweeked my interest. Probably a bit of both.
It's weird, I'm the same. We're all outing ourselves as map lovers. I could quite happily stare at maps or Google Earth for ages.

whatsthatonyourback
Member Avatar
Waldo Jeffers
Art Vandelay
Jan 26 2011, 01:20 PM
yasser
It's weird, I'm the same. We're all outing ourselves as map lovers. I could quite happily stare at maps or Google Earth for ages.
Have you ever been bored at work, opened up Google Earth Streetview, and then walked home in it?

Art Vandelay
Member Avatar
the king of carrot flowers
[ *  *  * ]
whatsthatonyourback
Jan 26 2011, 03:56 PM
Art Vandelay
yasser
Have you ever been bored at work, opened up Google Earth Streetview, and then walked home in it?
Yes. My flat looks much nicer on Google Streetview than it does in real life. My curtains have faded a lot since then.

Conan the Destroyer
Member Avatar
I prefer it when we're pish
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
whatsthatonyourback
Jan 26 2011, 03:56 PM
Art Vandelay
yasser
I hate jumping on bandwagons but I love maps, always have. My most favourite book at home is my Times Atlas of World History. What a book!

Really useful in the pub quizzes when it comes to the geography round.

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Off Topic · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Find this theme on Forum2Forum.net & ZNR exclusively.