Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Search Member List Official United Site ArabZone ArabTRUST BBC Sport Twitter
Welcome to The Arab League, one of the longest established Dundee United Football forums, with many members from the old ArabFC forum.

New members are always welcomed, so to join the debate, just sign up - registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join The Arab League!

If you're already a member please log in:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Squad Rebuilding
Topic Started: May 28 2017, 10:56 PM (11,221 Views)
Setenza
Member Avatar
Knitting with only one needle
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Well, I guess it's time for a squad rebuilding exercise...

I guess that fact so many are out of contract or short term will help in some ways, even if it's not ideal for such large turnover.

We've got, so far as I know, from those who played this season:

Bell, Durnan, Donaldon, Edjenguele, Fraser, Robson, Allardice, Toshney, Coote.

Add in Keatings and King for next season.

Of those out of contract, anyone thinking we should keep:

Dillon
Dixon
Flood
Murdoch
Murray
Nicholls
Spittal
Telfer
Zwick
van ser Struijk

Of them, Dixon would still seem useful and Zwick's a decent/cheap enough backup.
I get the feeling a change might be good for Telfer and Spittal, but I'd not be unhappy to see them again next season.
The rest either not worked out or are past their best.

Presume Andreu will be gone to different / better things and Mikklesen won't be back.

Going to be a big test all round if we can get a decent squad together over the next few months.

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Cobardon
Member Avatar
Uncle Smurf
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Setenza
May 28 2017, 10:56 PM
Well, I guess it's time for a squad rebuilding exercise...

Bell, Durnan, Donaldon, Edjenguele, Fraser, Robson, Allardice, Toshney, Coote.

Add in Keatings and King for next season.

Dillon - retiring I'd expect. If I was him I'm not sure I'd want to hang around a club where his contribution has been so ill thought of by some fans. Aresholes.
Dixon - I'd be happy enough to see him back but he'd need to take a big pay cut and may get a better offer back down south
Flood - He's been better the last few games but I'm still not certain he has a whole season left in those wee legs. Again, he may stay on and I'd not be unhappy.
Murdoch - I'd definitely keep him as he's shown signs of becoming a handy right back
Murray - Bin. Apparently due to sign for Hibs imminently, which is just proof that Lennon doesn't have much of a clue. Surely to goodness he's a back up for a Premier club though.
Nicholls -Keep! Nah, of course not. Worst signing Ray's made, and I include Toshney in that. Cross for Dixon to score aside his contribution has been appalling.
Spittal - Difficult to say. Signs of improvement recently but terrible today and still lightweight. Young enough to persevere with? May depend on if anyone else wants him.
Telfer - I've been shouting for him to get more game time but his utter anonymity today undermines that case. He should have been our freshest player today. Unless he wants much lower wages to hang around, he should go.
Zwick - Not convinced, but as a back up may be ok.
van der Struijk - Sure to be off. He's not that bad, but hard to imagine him signing on for longer.

The plus for the squad and money is that a few of those guys will no longer be on Premier wages so there's surely scope to use their wages on a few guys who are younger, hungrier and more likely to battle their way out of the division. This is Ray's big test, as it's surely win or bust this time and recruitment is key. The two he's already brought in seem promising, so a few more like them and I'll begin to believe we can do it.
Edited by Cobardon, May 29 2017, 12:14 AM.

Barca87
Member Avatar
Gordon Chisholm
[ *  *  *  *  * ]

Dillon - He has become a lightening rod for some of our fans about all the failings of the club. He deserved better than the stick he got yesterday, and I think at times the criticism of his performances are way over the top. In an era where nobody stays longer than 5 minutes, I like that we have a player who really cares about this club. If he wants to play on I presume he would move on, but I would like to think we could use him coaching wise.
Dixon - Had a better playoff series than I thought he would when he came into the team. But would need a massive wage cut to stay.
Flood - Agree with Cob.
Murdoch - Sort of player we will need to go up who can play several positions when required.
Murray - A good couple of playoffs does not suddenly make him a Premier league quality striker. If Lennon wants to take him, that's fine.
Nicholls - Who would have thought signing a player from Barnet would not have worked out?
Spittal - I genuinely did not know he was on the park for the last 20 minutes. He's looked shot of confidence since the end of last season. He needs to b somewhere else.
Telfer - He blew it yesterday. Watching him blowing as the Hamilton midfield passed around him and Willo to set up their opening goal was it of me.
Zwick - Do we really not have a goalie we're bringing through that can do the job required better than Zwick?
van der Struijk - Free up the cash that he has taken.

Naebody
Member Avatar
Twat
Of the expirers I'd try to keep Spittal. However, I'll be very surprised if he doesn't get an offer from above -- probably St Johnstone but maybe as high as Aberdeen. Decent player. Others will see that better than we can.

Dillon needs to go where he's appreciated, which likely means a player-coach job in the old country. He's got another couple of years in him at approximately this level, I suspect, but it shouldn't be for us. He deserves better.

Flood's visibly deteriorating. You can see it happen in real-time, like watching bamboo grow. With all due respect to the wee testicle, the defensive chase and breakup role isn't the toughest to recruit. I'd rather his place went to someone who can get better rather than someone guaranteed to get worse.

Can't form an opinion about Murdoch. He's neutral, beige, vanilla. Whether he stays or goes I'd hardly notice.

Dixon, dunno. He does okay in one position, in one formation, doing one specific job. For where we are, that's a bit of a luxury.

Telfer ... I can't work out what he's for. Not aggressive enough to be a ballwinner and not influential enough to be a playmaker. Also, through no fault of his own, he represents the disaster that was Jackie's incubator strategy. Not having him hanging around as a reminder of that shitshow would be fine.

Murray. No. He was a Pygmalion project that hasn't worked. Best of luck to his next employer.

With Zwick, there's potential but it's hard to shake the sense of dread whenever he's involved. Season long loan somewhere, if the finances allow.

Of those contracted Donaldson will surely be off. Fraser might well prefer somewhere lower English where he won't be called a poof 60 times a game for having a haircut and only breaking his leg twice. Coote, Robson, Allardice and the loan returns can and should be involved a lot more next year, as if by now they can't get a start against Brechin they probably shouldn't be banking on a long career in professional football.

Naebody
Member Avatar
Twat
Naebody
May 29 2017, 08:40 AM
Best of luck to his next employer.
On second thoughts ...
Posted Image

Setenza
Member Avatar
At least he's gone, and won't likely score against us next season.

Barca87
Member Avatar
Gordon Chisholm
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I'm no sure he'll be scoring against many folk next season.

Cobardon
Member Avatar
Uncle Smurf
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Setenza
May 29 2017, 10:09 AM
He's not officially though is he?

That's a hugely disrespectful photo for him to be sharing while he's still listed as a United player on our website, the day after having a shocker that helped keep us in the Championship. My opinion of him goes down by the day.

Given his impact against the worst remaining Premier team I'd be genuinely surprised if he made five goals next season.
Edited by Cobardon, May 29 2017, 11:44 AM.

Setenza
Member Avatar
Cobardon
May 29 2017, 11:44 AM
Setenza
Do you have to spoil things?

Can't I just be happy to think I'll never have to see the runs to nowhere, the trying to beat 2 men by running through them, the shooting from impossible angles, the failure to control simple passes or the lack of awareness of teamates ever again?

Hamish
Member Avatar
Ian McCall
[ *  *  *  * ]
Cobardon
Setenza

That's a hugely disrespectful photo for him to be sharing while he's still listed as a United player on our website, the day after having a shocker that helped keep us in the Championship. My opinion of him goes down by the day.

Given his impact against the worst remaining Premier team I'd be genuinely surprised if he made five goals next season.
Murray ... bit naive but, hey ho, he's probably excited.

As for the other out-of-contract players, we can't get shot of them all - and certainly not keep all of them as they have ultimately failed to get us out of the championship.

Murdoch remains a bit of a mystery, since he's not played a great deal, and I had imagined he was one who was going to give us some proper bite in this league.

Spittal. Someone will turn him into a player he once promised to be with us. That will be depressing. His season has been a disappointment. St Johnstone would be my guess as his destination.

Telfer. I really wanted him to work (not least because the club had to pay 170,000+ to Rangers for him). He just doesn't though - and yesterday he was poor. Shame.

McKinnon must make use of the youngsters. Otherwise, what's the point in developing them.

Under the 'must do better' file is Toshney who we're stuck with. Perhaps he can now play in whatever position is supposed to be his best, as opposed to being Mr Versatility, ie: equally ineffective in a number of positions.

Barca87
Member Avatar
Gordon Chisholm
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Cobardon
Setenza

I though that as well. I thought I was being a bit of a bore but after losing that game yesterday I'm not sure it's right to be revelling in your own escape from our impending misery! Some uncharitable people might ask is that why his performance was so underwhelming yesterday??

Conan the Destroyer
Member Avatar
I prefer it when we're pish
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I couldn't give a monkey's cummy bum what Murray does, the big diving haddy. Good luck to him.

He's gonna need it.

the.mule
Ian McCall
[ *  *  *  * ]
When Murray first turned up at Tannadice as an unknown plumber Naebody posted up a pic of him with arbroath when his hair was wilder with the caption "great, we've signed sideshow bob" and in many respects that turned out to be true

Hamish
Member Avatar
Ian McCall
[ *  *  *  * ]
I must have missed this snippet previously, but I see in the Record today that Christian Dailly is referred to as having joined the back-room team.

The same piece refers to our 57-game season which is pretty hefty for a squad of our size.

I checked and in fact it should be 54 games. The Record includes two pre-season friendlies and :'( Dillon's testimonial.

42 in the league; 6 League Cup; 1 Scottish Cup; and 5 Irn-Bru Cup.

The League Cup is highly useful because of when the games are played but, surely to goodness, we play the development team in the Irn-Bru nonsense next season.

Edited by Hamish, May 30 2017, 08:18 AM.

Cobardon
Member Avatar
Uncle Smurf
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Ok, as the BBC has a handy club by club list of players released I thought I'd help Ray and the gang out by identifying some targets:

Dylan Bikey - Was brilliant for Stirling Albion early this season then left for Hearts where it all quickly went wrong. Given the current confused state there I'm not sure that reflects badly on him and on the strength of his reputation and 10 goals in 15 games in League 2 he may be worth a punt.

Shaun Welsh - central midfielder who seems a cut above where we are right now. He's always looked fine for Thistle and if we could get him it would be a coup.

Marley Watkins - winger who always seemed a good option for ICT and was freed by Barnsley. Could we actually get width on both wings?

Zander Diamond was released by Northampton. Anyone? (as was Adam Smith who I don't know much about but would probably give lots of 18th century economics punning opportunity to the pseuds on here)

Isiah Osborne, ex Hibs midfield, has also been released by Walsall. Nah, me neither.

Conor Newton, who I thought was ok with St Mirren, is also available.

Gavin (ahem) Gunning is back on the market. If Naebody and Whatsthat want a team of belters, he's natural captain. Come on guys, whaddayasay, third time lucky? Conan, are you with me? :popcorn:

ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Any Football · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Find this theme on Forum2Forum.net & ZNR exclusively.