Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Search       Member List      Official United Site     ArabZone      ArabTRUST       BBC Sport     Twitter
Welcome to The Arab League, one of the longest established Dundee United Football forums, with many members from the old ArabFC forum.

New members are always welcomed, so to join the debate, just sign up - registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join The Arab League!

If you're already a member please log in:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Death of the Messageboard; New Statesman laments the messageboard
Topic Started: Feb 10 2017, 03:47 PM (573 Views)
Barca87
Member Avatar
Gordon Chisholm
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
This in the New Statesman was quite a good read talking about how twitter and the like is killing off the internet messageboard.

This made me think of our boards, in amongst the crazy shoutings of EFF and Mad:

Quote:

Yet it is precisely what makes message boards so unviable financially that makes them such a great user experience (regardless of the trolls). Both anonymity and the way forums are structured (from oldest to newest posts) create an egalitarian space. Although the hugely successful social network Reddit is arguably a message board, its system of “Upvotes” and “Downvotes” mean certain comments are given precedence. Yes, it could be frustrating when forums became a mess of cyclical arguments and irrelevant ramblings due to their structure, but there was always the sense that everyone had their chance to be seen and heard.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

vvhatsthatonyourback
Member Avatar
the last thing on his mind
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Was going to post the same link. Thanks for saving me the effort.

Hitler!

Conan the Destroyer
Member Avatar
I prefer it when we're pish
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
vvhatsthatonyourback
Feb 10 2017, 03:54 PM
Was going to post the same link. Thanks for saving me the effort.

Hitler!
Nearly Hitler anyway.

Morvant's Finest
Member Avatar
Tommy McLean
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Hey, we might not be completely dead yet? :think:

http://www.wsc.co.uk/features/14098-open-forum-how-online-message-boards-offer-a-safe-space-for-fans-to-open-up

Setenza
Member Avatar
Knitting with only one needle
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Twitter and Facebook do seem to be having a tough time, although still with plenty of users, if they can stand the noise.

Not sure that'll see a huge revival in messageboards, but they do have their appeal.

Although give me a few weeks and I'll add some bots and sell all your data to the highest bidder...

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Off Topic · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Find this theme on Forum2Forum.net & ZNR exclusively.